Mayweather hints at May showdown with Pacquiao


(CNN) -- Floyd Mayweather has hinted that his long-awaited showdown with Manny Pacquiao could take place in May next year. In a video message linked from his official Twitter page Mayweather, a five-division world champion and the current WBO welterweight champion, called on the Filipino to make the fight happen.

Pacquiao, who has won titles at eight divisions, recently registered a controversial defeat of Juan Manuel Marquez, stating afterward he was keen to take on Mayweather.

The pair had agreed to fight in March 2010 but it was called off due to a dispute about pre-bout blood tests. Now, Mayweather has called on his rival to sign a contract.

"I've been told May 5 is open," he said. "Losing is in Pacquiao's mind because he lost just last week. He lost to Marquez three times. May 5 is the date, sign the contract, I'm waiting.

"I can't be sitting waiting all day, you want to fight let's make it happen.

I'm here, I'm waiting, what's going on? I can sign today. If I sign today you better sign tomorrow.

"You said you're a clean athlete and you said you'd take the test so let's do it."

The pair have impressive records, Mayweather having won all 42 of his fights while Pacquiao has been victorious in 54 of his 59 bouts.

Read More..